Saturday, September 22, 2012

Accepting the Silence


There was the immediate, raw pain, right after the loss. I could still feel her in my arms. I cleaned away the food bowls from which she’d no longer eaten, and the littler box she hadn’t used in a long time. I could only do the basics, the most urgent, way too tired to do the major house cleaning I had pictured myself doing. 
When I had finally gathered up enough energy, I found traces, that I didn’t even know were there - little paw prints on the bathroom floor. I wiped them away tenderly, a farewell each one of them. 

Silence followed - the presence of her absence.

A week of vacation was left before I had to start teaching again. Just me and the silence in the apartment. The silence spread out and filled every space she had filled before.

Sometimes, I felt a slight sense of relief. The absence of her was also the absence of illness and decline, that were so painful to watch during the last months of her life. 

I noticed one day that I’d stopped looking for her. I don’t know exactly when it happened, and it may not be permanent yet. 

The first day of teaching without her was strange. I didn’t know how much she had occupied my mind, even when she was not in the studio. I wasn’t even aware that I rushed to check on her first thing every time I had a break, until I realized I didn’t have to do this any more.

“Fill the silence with beautiful sounds” wrote a friend. Music starts from the silence. You have to be aware of the silence, otherwise, you’re just making noise. You have to listen to the silence to sense the moment when the time has come for a new beginning. 

-----------------------------------------

Da war der unmittelbare, rohe Schmerz direkt nach dem Verlust. Ich konnte noch spüren, wie ich sie auf dem Arm gehalten hatte. Ich räumte die Futternäpfe weg, von denen sie nicht mehr gefressen hatte, und das Katzenklo, das sie schon lange nicht mehr benutzte. Ich konnte nur das Nötigste tun, ich war viel zu erschöpft für den grossen Hausputz, den ich eigentlich vorhatte.

Als ich schliesslich genug Energie hatte, fand ich Spuren von denen ich nichts wusste - Spuren von kleinen Pfoten auf dem Fussboden im Badezimmer. Zärtlich wischte ich sie weg, jede einzelne ein Abschied.

Stille folgte - die Gegenwart ihrer Abwesenheit. 

Ich hatte noch eine Woche Ferien, bevor ich wieder anfangen musste zu unterrichten. Die Stille und ich waren allein in der Wohnung. Stille füllte den Raum, den sie vorher eingenommen hatte.

Manchmal war da eine Spur von Erleichterung. Ihre Abwesenheit war auch die Abwesenheit von Krankheit und Verfall, die so schmerzlich anzusehen waren in den letzten Monaten.

Eines Tages fiel mir auf, dass ich aufgehört hatte, nach ihr zu suchen. Ich weiss nicht genau, wann das war, und vielleicht ist es noch nicht von Dauer.

Der erste Unterrichtstag ohne sie war seltsam. Mir war nicht aufgefallen, wie sehr sie mich beschäftigt hatte, auch wenn sie nicht im Unterrichtszimmer war. Erst jetzt fiel mir auf, dass ich in jeder Pause zuerst nach ihr gesehen hatte.

“Fülle die Stille mit schönen Tönen,” schrieb eine Freundin. Musik beginnt aus der Stille.  Man muss die Stille fühlen, sonst macht man nur Lärm. Man muss der Stille zuhören, um zu spüren, wenn der Moment für einen neuen Anfang gekommen ist.

No comments:

Post a Comment