Sunday, October 7, 2012

Tangled up in Transit / Im Verkehrssystem verstrickt


The meeting of the writers' group that I had attended at the public library in Montclair last Wednesday finished at noon, which gave me a little time to stroll around town before heading back to the station to catch my train. Just by chance, I discovered the street where a friend of mine used to live years ago. Sometimes, I stayed with her when I came from New Hampshire for lessons with Seymour Bernstein in New York City. Lost in memories, I strolled through the neighborhood, until a glance at my watch reminded me that it was time to get moving if I didn’t want to miss my train.

I needed to get home to practice.! The adult player’s group of the Leschetizky Association had its first meeting for the following Sunday, and I had signed up to play.

Easily, I found my way back to Bloomfield Avenue, which leads to the station. It wasn’t the route I had taken when I had ventured out from the library, so I wasn’t surprised that the neighborhood looked slightly different from what I remembered from my way there. 

In my mind, I began to reconstruct the Prelude in d-sharp minor from the second book of the Well Tempered Clavier. After some time, I noticed that there were fewer houses, the road went steadily uphill and disappeared into the woods after a sharp turn. One thing I was sure of: From the station to the library the road lead uphill all the way. Now, I was on the way back, from somewhere near the library to the station. The inversion of up is down. A shopper coming out of a supermarket confirmed what I had begun to suspect: in order to get to the station, I needed to walk in the opposite direction. 

The chance to catch my train in Montclair dwindled, but there was a 30 minute layover at Newark Broad Street Station, where I had to change trains. With a little bit of luck, I might be able to catch the train if I took a bus to Broad Street Station, I had done it before. 

At the bus station, the bus driver was taking a break. “I think it’s a number 34 bus,” said a young man who was waiting, when I asked about the bus line, “but you can take any bus from here, they all go to Newark Broad Street.” 

Did I actually ask the bus driver himself whether he was going there? I’m not sure, but I must have, because he said the fare was $ 2.35. After a few blocks down Bloomfield Avenue, the bus took a right and continued on a side street. The last time I took the bus to catch the train in Newark, it was a straight shot down Bloomfield Avenue, about 15, 20 minutes and then there was the station.

We coasted around affluent residential areas for a while, then the neighborhood became more modest, apartment buildings, a retirement home. There is nothing wrong with expanding your knowledge of the area, unless you have an appointment with Bach at the piano at home, and the train that takes you home runs once an hour. 

At a bus stop in front of a NJT office building the bus driver got off, and a different bus driver took over. We continued. A busy street some way ahead looked as if it could be Bloomfield Avenue, but it only lead to the highway. We crossed and moved on. A road sign pointed to the town of East Orange. 

I moved up to the front seat of the bus, right behind the driver, and asked: 
“Can you please tell me where to get off for the Newark Broad Street train station?”
“Newark Broad Street? I’m not going to Newark Broad Street, that’s a different bus.”        
“So where are you going?”
“South Street.” That didn’t tell me anything.
“Are you going by Newark Penn Station by any chance?” I asked. 
I had been there once, on the way from New York to Newark Airport, and if I made it to Newark, I figured there had to be a way to get from one station to the other.
“Yes,” confirmed the bus driver, “ you can get off at Newark Penn Station, and there you can take the bus or the train over to Newark Broad Street.”
“ Can you please tell me when we get to Newark Penn Station?” 
“ A lot of people get off there, you can’t miss it.”

The bus cruised along busy streets that didn’t look very inviting. At last it stopped in an underpass. There was something that could be covered train tracks overhead. The bus driver nodded in my direction, many passengers got off, and so did I. On the sidewalk, I found myself directly in front of a glass door that promised access to tracks 4 and 5. 

I tried the door handle, but the door refused to budge. Access to tracks one and two was only a few steps over, so I tried that one. Same result. How about nine and ten, at the other end? As I applied more energy to the door handle, I the writing on the door caught my eye: “Open from 6 am to 12 pm and from 4 pm to 7 pm.”

It was not 4 pm yet, but eventually, it would be, if I didn’t find the entrance to this darned train station! Where in all the world was the main entrance? 

The fact that trains move on rails guarantees certain predicable routes, and if you follow those rails long enough, you will inevitable come a railroad station - unless the tracks are no longer in service. Step back, take a couple of deep breaths and try to take in the bigger picture.

The train tracks continued along a parking lot across the street, and they seemed to end in a huge rectangular building, only a block away. As I approached, big letters above the entrance came into view: PENNSYLVANIA STATION NEWARK. Hooray!!!

Inside, there was a line at the information booth. The people in front of me had many questions and complex concerns to be taken care of. In my mind’s eye the tail lights of the train I was planning to catch disappeared in the distance. 

My turn came at last. “How do I get to Newark Broad Street Station from here?” 
“Your best bet is the bus no 71, but you can also take the Light Rail. ”
“I’ve had enough of the bus for the day. I think I’ll take the train.” 
“ That would be track two then, and first, you have to get the $ 1.50 ticket.”

There were ticket booths for Amtrack and ticket booths for New Jersey Transit, and ticket machines. As far as I know, Amtrack is long distance, and the shortest lines were in front of the ticket machines. I selected my destination, and the price for the ticket came up: $ 4.00. 

That couldn’t be right. I threw a helpless look in the direction of the information booth, but by now, there was another line. Maybe the bus was the better option. I went back outside, but I couldn’t find the bus stop where I had gotten off. There were other bus stops, people were waiting in line, signs listed different buses, but 71 was not among them. There was a bus to "Ivy Hill," which is a 10 minute walk from where I live, but who knows how many neighborhoods in New Jersey are named "Ivy Hill," and I wasn’t in the mood for more experiments!

I returned to the train station, bought the $ 4.00 train ticket, and rushed up the stairs to track 2. The platform was deserted, except for a gentleman who was texting on his cell phone. 
“Excuse me, “ I interrupted, “ do all trains on this platform go to Newark Broad Street?” 
“ Sorry, I don’t know, I’m waiting for an Amtrack train to Washington DC,” he replied. 

A train arrived on the opposite platform. Destination: New York City. That was not my direction, but at least I knew where I was going, and how to get home from there.  If I was lucky, it would stop in Secaucus - just outside of the city -  where I could catch a train to Newark Broad Street, where I could change to my train to Maplewood. 

I was lucky - which meant that I had to wait for 40 minutes in Secaucus, until I could catch a train to Newark Broad Street, where I had a 30 minute layover until the train to Maplewood arrived. At least I had a good book with me. By the time I got home, I was ready for dinner, and relieved that I have a couple of days left to practice. 

Keep your mind on what you are doing, isn’t that what they say? Focus on practicing while you practice, and on getting home, while you’re trying to get home - maybe there is something to it.
-------------------------
Das Arbeitsgruppe für Leute, die versuchen ein Buch zu schreiben, trifft sich alle 14 Tage mittwochs in der Stadtbücherei in Montclair. Pünktlich um 12 Uhr mittags waren wir fertig, und ich hatte noch ein bischen Zeit, in der Stadt herumzulaufen, bevor ich mich auf den Rückweg zum Bahnhof machen musste. Zufälligerweise fand ich mich auf einmal in einem Viertel wieder, wo eine Freundin von mir vor einigen Jahren wohnte, und manchmal wohnte ich bei ihr, wenn ich aus New Hampshire zum Klavierunterricht bei Seymour Bernstein in New York kam. In Erinnerung versunken streifte ich durch die Gegend, bis mich ein Blick auf die Uhr daran erinnerte, dass ich mich auf den Weg machen musste, wenn ich meinen Zug nicht verpassen wollte.

Ich musste nach Hause zum Üben! Die Vorspielgruppe der Leschetizky Gesellschaft hatte ihr erstes Treffen für den folgenden Sonntag angesetzt, und ich hatte mich zum Spielen angemeldet.

Ohne Schwierigkeiten fand ich den Weg zurück zur Bloomfield Avenue, die zum Bahnhof führt. Es war nicht die gleiche Strecke, die ich auf dem Weg von der Bücherei genommen hatte, von daher fand ich es nicht weiter verwunderlich, dass die Gegend etwas anders aussah.

Im Geiste begann ich, das Präludium in Dis- moll aus dem 2. Teil des Wohltemperierten Klaviers zu rekonstruieren. Nach einiger Zeit fiel mir auf, dass die Bebauung spärlicher wurde, die Strasse führte stetig bergauf und verschwand hinter einer scharfen Kurve im Wald. Eins wusste ich mit Sicherheit: Auf dem Hinweg vom Bahnhof zur Bücherei führt die Strasse stetig bergauf. Nun war ich auf dem Rückweg. Die Umkehrung von bergauf ist bergab. Ein Kunde, der aus dem Supermarkt kam, bestätigte, was mir allmählich klar wurde: Um zum Bahnhof zu gelangen, musste ich mich in die entgegengesetzte Richtung begeben.

Die Chance, den Zug in Montclair noch zu erwischen verringerten sich, aber in Newark Broad Street musste ich umsteigen, und zwischen beiden Zügen war eine halbe Stunde Zeit. Mit etwas Glück konnte ich den Zug nach Hause noch erwischen, wenn ich mit dem Bus nach Newark fuhr; das hatte schonmal geklappt.

An der Bushaltestelle machte der Fahrer gerade Pause. “Ich glaube, das ist der Bus Nr 34,” sagte der juge Mann, den ich nach der Buslinie fragte, “ aber von hier aus können Sie jeden Bus nehmen, sie halten alle in Newark Broad Street.”

Habe ich eigentlich den Fahrer selbst gefragt? Ich glaube schon, denn ich erhielt die Auskunft, dass der Fahrpreis 
$ 2.35 betrug.  Der Bus fuhr die Bloomfield Avenue hinunter, und nach ein paar Strassenecken bog er rechts ab. Das letzte Mal, als ich den Bus nach Newark genommen hatte, ging es immer geradeaus, etwa 15 bis 20 Minuten, und dann kam man direkt zum Bahnhof.

Wir fuhren eine Weile in einer wohlhabenden Wohngegend herum, dann wurde es bescheidener, Mietshäuser, ein Altersheim. Es ist nicht verkehrt, seine Kenntnis der Gegend auszuweiten, es sei denn man hat einen Termin mit Bach zu Hause am Klavier, und der Zug dorthin fährt nur einmal pro Stunde.
  
An einem Bürogebäude der Transitgesellschaft stieg der Busfahrer aus, und ein anderer Fahrer übernahm. Wir fuhren weiter. Eine belebte Strasse in einiger Entfernung hätte die Bloomfield Avenue sein können, entpuppte sich aber als Autobahnzubringer. Wir überquerten sie und fuhren weiter. Ein Strassenschild zeigte nach der Stadt East Orange.

Ich setzte mich auf den vorderen Sitz im Bus direkt hinter dem Fahrer und fragte: 
“ Können Sie mir bitte Bescheid sagen, wo ich aussteigen muss, um zur Bahnstation Newark Broad Street zu kommen?” 
“ Newark Broad Street? Da fahre ich nicht hin, das ist ein anderer Bus.”
“Wo fahren Sie denn hin?”
“ South Street.” Das sagte mir überhaupt nichts.
“ Fahren Sie vielleicht nach Newark Penn Station?” fragte ich. Dort war ich einmal vorbeigekommen, auf dem Weg von New York City zum Flughafen Newark, und wenn ich einmal in Newark war, musste es doch wohl einen Weg von einer Bahnstation zur anderen geben.
“Jawohl,” bestätigte der Fahrer, “ Sie können in Newark Penn Station aussteigen und den Zug oder den Bus nach Broad Street nehmen.” 
“Können Sie mir bitte sagen, wenn wir nach Newark Penn Station kommen?” 
“Da steigen viele Leute aus, Sie können es gar nicht verpassen.”

Der Bus fuhr belebte Strassen entlang, die nicht besonders einladend aussahen. Schliesslich hielt er unter einer Unterführung. Oben über die Strasse führte etwas, das man für überdachte Bahngleise halten konnte. Viele Passagiere stiegen aus, der Busfahrer nickte in meine Richtung, und so schloss ich mich an. 

Auf dem Bürgersteig fand ich mich direkt gegenüber einer Glastür, die Zugang zu Gleis 4 und 5 versprach. Ich bediente den Türgriff, aber die Tür bewegte sich nicht. Nur einige Schritte weiter war die Tür zu Gleis 1 und 2. Ich erhielt das gleiche Resultat. Ich versuchte mein Glück mit Gleis 9 und 10 am anderen Ende. Als ich energischer am Türgriff rüttelte, entdeckte ich eine Aufschrift: “Geöffnet von 6 bis 12 und von 16 - 19 Uhr.” 

Noch war es nicht 16 Uhr, aber das würde schon noch kommen, wenn es mir nicht gelang, den Eingang zu diesem vermalmedeiten Bahnhof zu finden. Wo in aller Welt war der Haupteingang?

Die Tatsache, dass Züge auf Schienen fahren, garantiert festgelegte Strecken, und wenn man den Schienen lange genug folgt, ist es unvermeidlich, dass man schliesslich zu einer Bahnstation kommt, es sei denn die Bahngleise sind stillgelegt. Ein paar Mal tief atmen, ein paar Schritte zurückgehen, versuchen, einen allgemeinen Überblick zu gewinnen. 

Die Gleise führten auf der anderen Strassenseite an einem Parplatz vorbei und schienen an der nächsten Strassenecke in einem grossen rechteckigen Gebäude zu verschwinden. As ich näherkam, erkannte ich grosse Buchstaben über dem Eingang: PENNSYLVANIA STATION NEWARK. Hurra !!!

Am Informationsschalter stand eine Schlange. Die Leute vor mir hatten viele Fragen und komplizierte Sachverhalte zu klären. Im Geiste sah ich die Rücklichter meines Zuges in der Ferne verschwinden. Schliesslich kam ich an die Reihe. 
“Wie komme ich von hier nach Newark Broad Street?” 
“Am besten mit dem Bus, die Linie 71, aber mit dem Zug geht es auch.” 
“Ich habe für heute genug vom Bus, ich denke, ich nehme den Zug.” 
“Der fährt von Gleis 2, und vorher müssen Sie für $ 1.50 eine Fahrkarte kaufen.”

Es gab Fahrkartenschalter der Verkehrsgesellschaft Amtrack und einen der Verkehrsgesellschaft New Jersey Transit, sowie Fahrkartenautomaten. Soweit ich weiss, bedient Amtrack die Fernzüge, und die kürzesten Schlangen standen am Automaten. Ich wählte mein Fahrziel, und der Fahrpreis erschien: $ 4.00

Da stimmte was nicht. Ich warf einen hilflosen Blick in Richtung Informationsschalter, aber da stand schon wieder eine Schlange. Vielleicht war der Bus doch die bessere Lösung. Ich ging wieder nach draussen, aber ich konnte die Haltestelle nicht mehr finden, wo ich ausgestiegen war. Es gab andere Bushaltestellen, Leute standen an, Schilder zeigten verschiedenen Buslinien, aber die 71 war nicht dabei. Es gab einen Bus nach Ivy Hill, das ist 10 Minuten zu Fuss von meiner Wohnung, aber wer weiss wie viele Siedlungen mit dem Namen "Ivy Hill" es in New Jersey gibt, und ich war nicht in Stimmung für weitere Experimente.

Ich ging zurück in den Bahnhof, kaufte die Fahrkarte zu 
$ 4.00 und lief die Stufen hinauf zu Gleis 2. Der Bahnsteig war leer, bis zuf einen Herrn, der eine SMS auf seinem Handy tippte. “Entschuldigen Sie, fahren alle Züge auf diesem Gleis nach Newark Broad Street?” “Tut mir leid, das weiss ich nicht, ich warte auf den Fernzug nach Washington DC.”

Auf dem Gleis gegenüber fuhr ein Nahverkehrszug ein. Ziel: New York City. Das war zwar nicht meine Richtung, aber wenigstens wusste ich, wo’s hinging, und wie ich von dort aus nach Haus kam. Mit etwas Glück würde der Zug kurz vor der Stadt in Secaucus halten, und ich könnte dort einen Zug nach Newark Broad Street erreichen, und dort könnte ich dann in den Zug nach Maplewood umsteigen.  

Ich hatte Glück - was bedeutete, dass ich in Secaucus 40 Minuten warten musste, bis der Zug nach Newark Broad Street kam, und dort hatte ich nochmal 30 Minuten Aufenthalt, bis der Zug nach Maplewood eintraf. Wenigstens hatte ich ein gutes Buch dabei. Als ich zu Hause ankam, war es Zeit zum Abendessen, und ich war froh, dass ich bis Sonntag noch ein paar Tage zum Ueben hatte.

Heisst es nicht, man soll sich auf das konzentrieren, was man gerade tut - beim Heimweg auf den Heimweg, und beim Üben aufs Üben? Vielleicht ist ja doch was dran...

1 comment:

  1. We took Amtrak from Boston to NYC a couple of weeks ago.....a birthday trip for my wife to see Porgy and Bess before it closed.....then stayed in a hotel located within walking distance of the theater, hence avoiding the possibility of encountering a scenario like the one you describe. Stories like this make me glad I still have my car!!

    Bob Smith

    ReplyDelete